Having sex with someone else or kissing an ex are some obvious forms of cheating, but it’s a lot more complicated than that these days.
Everyone has a different line and some even think having dinner with a member of the opposite sex counts as infidelity.
So what’s right and wrong? According to a new survey by Ashley Madison, adulterous behaviours is no longer limited to just being physical with another person.
Members of the dating service – who have been unfaithful themselves – revealed a list of other behaviours they considered cheating.
Over 40% of respondents believe that sending naked photos to another person is a form of cheating.
A similar number also declared sexting as an act of infidelity. In fact, 20% of Ashley Madison users claimed that flirtatious behaviour was inappropriate.
“Modern monogamy is becoming more and more vague”
Isabella Mise, director of communications at Ashley Madison, said: “Modern monogamy is becoming more and more vague so it really boils down to communication between couples and negotiating the terms of a marriage in an open way.
“When couples aren’t on the same page, or one partner simply isn’t getting what they need, other options become desirable.
“Even when that’s as simple as finding someone to talk to.”
Here are the top 10 actions considered to be a form of cheating:
1. Forming a deep emotional bond with someone else: 55%
2. Sending naked pictures to someone other than their partner: 46%
3. Texting erotic messages to someone other than me: 44%
4. Maintaining an online dating profile: 29%
5. Spending time with their ex-partner: 29%
6. Casual flirting with someone else: 18%
7. Thinking about someone else when having sex: 18%
8. Going out to dinner with the opposite sex: 18%
9. Communicating with their ex: 16%
10. Fantasising about someone else: 13%